How do you get through practice?

Every other kind of music discussion that does not belong to the other forums, comes here
Brisingr

How do you get through practice?

Post by Brisingr » Thu May 18, 2017 8:21 am

Hi everyone,

So I've been learning piano for about >11 years now, the first 9 of which I had a private piano teacher.
Even during this time when I had a teacher, I struggled with practicing properly. I learned songs terribly slowly, despite having the ability to learn things quickly if I really wanted to (back when I did 3rd grade piano I went from 0 -> mastered with one of my songs within a week due to leaving it so late). I only had finished my 6th grade piano exam by my final year of school (Started in third grade).

Since I moved out of home and started at uni I discovered Kyle Landry, and have (in 2 and a bit years) only learned about 4 of his songs, plus messed around with various other bits and pieces of much easier difficulty. What I'm getting at is that I am continuing to learn piano INCREDIBLY slowly and no matter what I can't seem to muster the strength to push through and practice PROPERLY.

I learned Kyle's 'Crossing Field' cover in the space of maybe 2 weeks when I had the motivation, so I know I can do better but for the most part I just get sick of practicing hands separate/small sections/focused learning and end up just playing over some easy stuff that I know, then being disappointed and leaving it for another day.

SO

How do you all get through the hard yards? Are there things that you keep in mind? Things you do to make things less tedious? I know there's no 'easy way', but I have such a love-hate relationship with piano and I'm really struggling to actually progress and get better.

I hope that wasn't too much to read, I'm just really frustrated!

Brisingr.