Classes

If you have any questions about music theory, this forum is the right place
GMA98

Classes

Post by GMA98 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:07 pm

Hey I'm a self-taught pianist and I've been playing for over 5 years now. I'm in my first year of college and majoring in Computer Science and Math, but I would really like to further my piano by taking some classes. I'm at such a loss as to what to take because my schedule for school is very tight and I only have room for a few extra classes. I was wondering if it would be better to take theory classes or piano classes?

The main areas I want to improve are being able to add to pieces and reform them, and being able to improvise like Kyle does. So with that in regard it would be appreciated if someone could give me some advice on what would be better to take.

Thanks!
Gabe

Ternaldius

Re: Classes

Post by Ternaldius » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:08 am

If that's what you want to do, start learning some final fantasy piano collections + Kyle arrangements as well as improv.
I do any transcription for some money. Get in touch at [email protected]

carloscbz

Post by carloscbz » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:36 am

I've been taking piano classes for almost 2 years, and I've improved much more than when I was learning by myself.

Piano teachers know your level, and give you sheets affordable to your level, but which make you effort to improve. They also teach the theory that you need for those pieces, but it's not a deep music theory learning.

I think jazz piano teachers teach how to improvise, classical piano teachers don't.

About the schedule, 45 minutes/week of piano classes is enough, since the important part is homework. In the weekly class, the teacher reviews your performance, corrects your errors, and sets the goals for the next week.

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:37 am

It's true that not many classical piano teachers will teach anything about improvisation (until the later stages) if you discuss improv with your teacher there's a great possibility that they'll start going on and on (mine personally can go on for hours when we get to talking about applying theoretical ideas presented in the songs I'm working on at the time to other pieces and improvising those ideas through further experimentation)

All in all, I'd recommend a piano course considering you can get the best of both worlds if you try for it.

Another big plus about having a teacher is that they can correct you on your blunders and prevent you from getting bad playing habits. Whereas with music theory, you can generally teach yourself through analysis of songs and research.

Hope my advice was at least the slightest bit helpful.